Tin: Internal Clock

October 1st – October 23rd
Opening Reception:
Saturday, October 1st, 7-11pm


Last Rites Gallery presents Internal Clock, new works by Tin, in what will be the artist’s second solo show at the gallery.

Working with a neutral color palette of oil pastels, artist Tin creates dream worlds where beautiful women intermingle with rigid machinery. His exaggerated female forms maintain a sensual pin-up quality, while casting an undeniable air of mystery. Combining innocent eyes and soft flesh with manufactured industrial parts, the viewer is lured into a dark fairytale where natural and mechanical elements seamlessly co-exist.

Influenced as a child by comic books and cartoons, Tin states that his real passion creating art did not come until later in life, spurned by a brush with his own mortality: “I sketched from time to time and did ok in high school art class. Then I became a fisherman, like the kind out of the movie Perfect Storm. I almost died three times and should have lost my drawing hand at least a dozen times. After my last close call with death I decided to become an artist.” Tin went on to do commercial and pin-up art for 7 years, but his art took a turn as he felt unchallenged with what he was creating. He says “The art I was doing had no heart. So one day I was finishing a pin-up girl and I remember saying out loud to myself ‘If I only had a heart’- which reminded me of the Tin Man from The Wizard Of Oz. At that moment I decided to do more interesting works and call myself Tin.”

Last Rites Gallery
511 W 33rd Street, NYC
212.529.0666
info@lastritesgallery.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top